Does anyone else consider this a bug?

There's a new "feature" of Lenny that keeps catching me off guard. I might be
wrong but I don't remember Etch ever doing this to me.

It goes like this:

1. Perform a new Lenny install of the "standard package set" (no Xorg) (I
always use net installs but I assume it's the same no matter what)

2. Immediately install ssh and configure a static IP address

3. Restart networking: /etc/init.d/networking restart

4. Start some services and and jobs on the server that make use of the network
(start an scp or rsync of a large data set over the network is an especially
good example ;-)  )

5. Walk away assuming the server will continue performing those tasks

6. Come back later to check on the server and discover that you can't log in
via ssh.

7. Log into the console to see what's going on and discover that your
scp/rsync and other network tasks have failed because dhcpclient is still
running from the initial install's automatic DHCP network detect and had
moved the server BACK to a DHCP address after the static network config. Mind
you, the install does not ASK if you want DHCP or static addressing during
setup.

Work around: Either kill dhcpclient or restart the server to get rid of it.
Problem is I keep forgetting this aspect :-)

I find it extremely annoying but before I file a report I want to make sure
other folks don't consider this a "feature"

	JW

--

System Administrator - Cedar Creek Software