Re: best practice for lvm?

In <[🔎] 20090608201522.GA26542@m364d1.ece.northwestern.edu>, Zhengquan Zhang
wrote:
>On Mon, Jun 08, 2009 at 03:58:56PM +0100, Chris Davies wrote:
>> Zhengquan Zhang <zhang.zhengquan@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Can I say the best practice for lvm is to create a single partition
>> > for the harddrive and single PV on it and separate LVs for /tmp /var
>> > /home etc? and leave enough unassigned PE for later enlargement of
>> > certain LV?
>> Personally, I create a 1G partition for root and boot, and then allocate
>> everything else as a single PE. I generally start with around 1G for
>what is "everything else as a single PE"?

Chris means PV, not PE.  (PE is a physical extent, the minimum unit of
allocation to a volume by LVM; I forget the default size.  Each LE maps to
exactly one PE.)

Their partition table would look like:
hda1	1G            	ext3
hda2	(rest of disk)	Linux LVM

They would have one physical volume output by pvs.