Re: Does anyone else consider this a bug?

Hello,

Last-point first, you can instruct Debian-Installer to prompt for fixed
IP (rather than using DHCP).

You need to pass this argument at boot prompt:
  netcfg/disable_dhcp=true

(read http://www.debian.org/releases/lenny/i386/ch05s03 )

On Mon, 2009-06-08 at 13:51 -0500, JW wrote:
> There's a new "feature" of Lenny that keeps catching me off guard. I might be
> wrong but I don't remember Etch ever doing this to me.
>
> It goes like this:
>
> 1. Perform a new Lenny install of the "standard package set" (no Xorg) (I
> always use net installs but I assume it's the same no matter what)
>
> 2. Immediately install ssh and configure a static IP address
>
> 3. Restart networking: /etc/init.d/networking restart
[..]
> Work around: Either kill dhcpclient or restart the server to get rid of it.
> Problem is I keep forgetting this aspect :-)

I haven't tested it, but running "ifdown eth0"  may help.

Franklin