Re: MySQL admin qref?

Incoming from Robert Baron:
> On Sat, Jun 6, 2009 at 5:13 PM, s. keeling <keeling@nucleus.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi.  I'm trying to config mysql.  I've done this before, and it worked
> > well, and I took notes, but they're not helping at the moment.  I
> > haven't tried everything yet, and I'd rather come up with a plan than
> > work from flawed notes.
> >
> > On Debian, how do you set the mysql root user pword?  I've tried
> > mysql-admin, but I don't know what I'm doing.  dpkg-reconfigure was no
> > help.
> >
> > Once I can get in, I can create a user and work from there.
> >
> > (0) [root] infidel /root_ mysql
> > ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using
> > password: NO)
> >
> > Once I'm in, I can:
> >
> >   update mysql.user set password=password(...) where user='root';
> >
> > How's this supposed to be done?
>
> have you tried the following?
>
>   mysqladmin -u root password NEWPASSWORD

Thanks man.  I've spent hours hunting my notes and history for that.
I remember doing that.  Now:

(0) [root] infidel /root_ mysqladmin -u root password '.........'
mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)'

mysqld is running, but this is the first time I've been anywhere near
this mysql install (and I really hate being a dba.  :-)

- -