[Solved] Re: up-to-date Sid, Need help with xorg.conf

So trying to make the VGA input on a Sharp TV work, we have the
following:

Using these elements from Wayne Topa:

On Friday 05 June 2009 Wayne Topa <linuxtwo@gmail.com> wrote:
> The DFP is for an LCD.
>
> Section "Device"
>      Option      "Metamodes" "1680x1050, 1280x1024. 1280x1024"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Monitor"
>          Identifier      "Generic Monitor"
>          Option          "DPMS"
>          HorizSync       24-831
>          VertRefresh     56-75
> EndSection

And starting with Andrew's generic xorg.conf so I'd have the right
sections:

On Saturday 06 June 2009, "Andrew M.A. Cater"
<amacater@galactic.demon.co.uk> was heard to say:
> Once you're sure no X is running, as root issue the command
>
>         Xorg -configure
>
> This will attempt to generate an old style xorg.conf file based on
> the Xorg best guess

It was otherwise empty of details except the SiS driver definition,
but it was good to make sure that the correct headings existed for
everything in the new file.

So it turned out the answer was to put the screen's input h/v
frequencies and their matching pixel "MetaModes", as detailed in the
manual one at a time, into the xorg.conf and "startx" until something
worked...

Option "Metamodes" "1280x1024"

HorizSync 64
VertRefresh 60

...is the highest resolution for which everything worked.

Sadly, the 1360x768 h.47.7 v.60 ends up putting a "refresh out of
sync" error in Xorg.0.log, so the ancient SiS onboard video is living
up to its ancientness. And not specifying the frequencies but only
the 1360x768 launches X just fine, but puts the screen into
an "invalid frequencies" error.

Oh well.

On Sat Jun  6 07:54:01 2009, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
<eduardo@kalinowski.com.br> wrote:
> Please reply to the list.

I didn't want the completely obvious statement that autoconfig wasn't
working to go to the list. But if that's the way you want it,

> There should be no need for a modeline at all. xorg should detect
> its
> available modes and select the best one automatically.

Wouldn't that be nice? Too bad it doesn't.

> What does xrandr say when you run it? It should list detected modes.

Thank you. In fact it does list the widescreen 1360x768 mode I want,
but the frequency requirements of the screen do not allow it to be
used.

So much for a gnarly wide-screen display. I guess I have one more good
reason to upgrade this box to an HDMI-output machine. I'm sure this
wouldn't have happened with hardware anywhere near new.

Thank you to everyone who chimed in with suggestions. The Command Line
Rules where automagical stuff fails.

Curt-