MySQL admin qref?

Hi.  I'm trying to config mysql.  I've done this before, and it worked
well, and I took notes, but they're not helping at the moment.  I
haven't tried everything yet, and I'd rather come up with a plan than
work from flawed notes.

On Debian, how do you set the mysql root user pword?  I've tried
mysql-admin, but I don't know what I'm doing.  dpkg-reconfigure was no
help.

Once I can get in, I can create a user and work from there.

(0) [root] infidel /root_ mysql
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)

Once I'm in, I can:

   update mysql.user set password=password(...) where user='root';

How's this supposed to be done?