Re: google cal issues, questions re: epiphany, iceweasel, iceowl

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 06:37, Tony Baldwin <photodharma@gmail.com> wrote:
> I suppose there are 2 issues here...or more...I'm bad at math.
>
> First, no amount of cache clearing, etc., is allowing me to view my google
> calendar in iceweasel.
> I've tried to view it in lynx, elinks and w3m, all to no avail, as I might
> have expected...
> So, I want to install another gui browser.
> Konqueror wants all kinds of KDE crap that I don't want on my machine,
> and, likewise, Galeon wants tonso gnome crap I don't want on my machine (I
> use ion3, and like to keep things lite).
> So, I checked out Epiphany, which doesn't seem to have a truckload of
> depends.
>
> When I do
> apt-cache showpkg epiphany
> it shows me that epiphany is a web browser (I knew that), and only requires
> epiphany & epiphany-data
> So I did
> sudo aptitude install epiphany
> (yes, I have sudo) and it got and installed
> epiphany epiphany-data
> But whereis epiphany shows
> /usr/lib/epiphany
> only
> and the only epiphany I can find to run is
> epiphany-game
> (much like dig dug or bejewelled, or something, but not helping me get to my
> google cal).
> So, why doesn't
> aptitude install epiphany
> give me the epiphany web browser?
>
> This is on lenny.

"epiphany" is the game.  "epiphany-browser" is the browser. I was
shocked to see that Galeon was still in the repos, development
stopped a long time ago.

> I have IE6 with IE4Linux on here, but I really don't like to use it, except
> for the one m0r0n client that has an invoicing system that only works with
> internet exploder.  It can, however, access my google calendar, so, I have
> determined the my google cal issue is definitely with iceweasel.
>  Additionally, no problems accessing same calendar with FF or Seamonkey on
> my two ubuntu laptops.
> The iceowl available to me in lenny doesn't support the google provider
> plugin, and backports isn't offering a newer version (need 0.9, and all I
> can find is 0.8, which has no support for provider plugin).
>
> I'd really just like to view the calendar online via iceweasel.
> Failing that, iceowl would be gro0vy.
> Failing that, another browser would be co0l.

When it comes to mozilla products, I just download the Linux version
and unpack it in /usr/local and make needed symlinks in /usr/local/bin/
(I like to stay up to date, and Debian doesn't package betas, much
less nightlies).

> I suppose, if I must, I can use the IE6, or install some 3rd party browser
> from beyond our repos (opera, plain FF), but I'd rather keep with approved
> debian pkgs whenever possible.
> I wish Ubuntu had iceweasel and icedove, in all truth, because, aside from
> the calendar issue, I dig 'em.

Just because of the trademark issues?

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers