Re: Best way of restoring /etc from backups after fresh install?

On Fri,05.Jun.09, 17:57:26, Laurentiu Pancescu wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> After a fresh (re)install of Lenny, I installed all cca. 800
> previously installed packages (from a list file, via "xargs aptitude
> install") and then restored /etc from my rdiff-backup archive
> (containing just /etc, /home and lists of installed packages). It
> worked fine, but I ended up with some directories having the wrong
> owners (e.g. logcheck files being owned by hal, ntp lock directory
> owned by gdm), which broke some things. I guess the automatically
> generated uids during the new installation were different from the
> ones in my backed up passwd/group files.

Seems to me like you tried to restore more than just /etc

> What would be the best way to restore the full system in such a case?
> Here's a list of possibilities I thought of, but I'm open to new ones:
> - restore /etc before installing the packages (but then I'll get asked
> a lot during installation about what to do with the existing
> configuration files)
> - first install etckeeper, then install all packages, then restore
> /etc from backups and then try to analyze and fix what might be broken
> using source control diffs
> - install packages, restore everything in /etc except passwd, shadow and group

Why not restore those as well?

I don't have that much experience with restoring (I like the opportunity
to start fresh), but options 2 and 3 sound good to me

> BTW, can anyone suggest a better backup approach? I normally follow
> testing, where new versions of packages appear often, so I would like
> to avoid backing up everything (/usr eats up too much space with
> incremental backups). Backing up /etc, /home and some files in /var
> would be ideal, since I can get the rest by installing, but how can I
> best restore the full system in such a case?

I think you're already on the right track.

> P.S. Please cc me when replying, I'm not subscribed to debian-user
> (too high volume).

There are ways to follow the list without being subscribed (gmane,
googlegroups, ...)

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)