Re: Configuring Tor and Privoxy in Squeeze [SOLVED]

Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Wed, Jun 03, 2009 at 19:46:54 +0100, AG wrote:
Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Wed, Jun 03, 2009 at 18:31:43 +0100, AG wrote:
AG wrote:
I am attempting to get Tor and Privoxy working with Iceweasel, but it keeps throwing up errors.

[...]

The following is my /etc/privoxy/config file (without the commented sections):

[...]

listen-address  localhost:8118

[...]

It seems that "localhost" resolves to the ipv6 address on your system,
at least as far as the privoxy configuration is concerned, while for me
it still yields the ipv4 address. The following might therefore be a
workaround for the 3.0.12-2 version of privoxy on your installation:

listen-address  127.0.0.1:8118

It would probably be better to find out why "localhost" is interpreted
differently on your box. To this end, I would like to see the output of

getent hosts localhost

and the contents of your /etc/hosts file.

Florian

Your assumption looks spot on about defaulting to ipv6, as can be seen below:

Working from the bottom back up:

/etc/hosts

127.0.0.1       localhost
192.168.1.40    owndomain.org    owndomain

::1     localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback

This is were my /etc/hosts file differs:

::1     ip6-localhost ip6-loopback

[...]

$ getent hosts localhost
::1             localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback

As expected from my /etc/hosts, I get this:

127.0.0.1       localhost

I would remove the "localhost" from the line starting with "::1". I
think that making sure that "localhost" resolves to 127.0.0.1 is still
the configuration with the least likelihood to cause trouble.

This is a new machine with a SATA drive, although I did install the same ethernet card that I had in my previous box (which worked fine with Tor and Privoxy), so I don't know if I inadvertently configured it that way when I did the fresh install on Saturday last.

Which version of the installer did you use? Maybe the default
configuration of /etc/hosts has changed recently (which might be a bug).

And as you suspected, Iceweasel does indeed listen in on 8118, as seen by:
$ netstat -plant

[...]

tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:8118 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN -

Note: This has to be privoxy, not iceweasel - you will see the process
name if you run netstat with the same options as root.

At this point I am okay with having the Lenny ipv6-non-patched tor and privoxy arrangement. However, if you are recommending that I do attempt the workaround then I will do so.

I am pretty sure that you will not even haven to use the workaround if
you make the suggested change to /etc/hosts.

Florian

Just an update - I deleted the redundant "localhost" entry in the /etc/hosts file as suggested and accepted the Tor and Privoxy upgrade, keeping my original config file when asked to keep/ update.

So far - all seems to be well.

You were a tremendous help with this issue and I am very grateful.

Thank you for sharing your expertise with me.

Best wishes to you.

AG