Re: What happened to network devices?

On 04.06.09 11:06, lee wrote:
> I've read that a long time ago. Who told you otherwise?

Was that about linux? I haven't remember there was anything like that on
linux (maybe some distros have/had patch?). I remember solaris having on-fs
devices for network _drivers_, but not for interfaces, e.g. /dev/le for le*,

> > > It wouldn't make much sense if you could, would it?
> >
> > That's just it. There's no reason to work with them as with files, so
> > there's no reason to have them on filesystem.
>
> They are devices, and you need to be able to specify them. There's no
> reason not to represent them.

There's no reason to specify and represent them as files. Programs accessing
network devices use different syscalls than those accessing files.
as I said, I don't see reason why they should be placed on filesystem and I
don't remember that they were...
One OS to bring them all and into darkness bind them