Re: What happened to network devices?

On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 5:30 PM, lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
> On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 06:40:00PM -0500, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
>> In <20090529225111.GF1901@cat.rubenette.is-a-geek.com>, lee wrote:
>> >Anyway, I'd like to know what happened
>> >to /dev/eth0.
>>
>> I've never had a Linux box where /dev/eth0 existed.  That said, I'm only been
>> using it as my main OS since the end of 2004.
>
> So what did you use instead? I have never had trouble with using
> "eth0" or "/dev/eth0" before, so I didn't check if such a file
> existed. A network interface is a device which I expect to be
> represented under /dev.

Not so, at least on Linux.   Network interfaces are not represented as
any kind of file (and specifically not as device special files) on
Linux.  For example, you cannot use open(2) or rename(2) on eth0.

I've heard (mostly long ago, certainly before 1996) about Linux-based
systems where interfaces also have nodes under /dev, but I've never
heard of one where this is necessary.