Strange printing problem(s)

   I am having a problem with cups, again, and hope that someone here
may be able to save my sanity.

   I had my AMD64 box die about 3 months ago and have just recently
revived it. It is a 3 dist box with squeeze and sid up to date so far
but having different printing problems.  Printing was working normally
when this box went down.  Below is what upgrading introduced.  I must
have screwed up something but am unable to figure out what has changed.
The hardware interface changed from serial db9 to a usb/rs232 converter

SID
   Did an aptitude update/upgrade yesterday.  Using cups I can print
using 'Print Test Page" Ok but can not print from Iceweasel, IceDove,
adobe/Xpdf as a user.

   Root can print from the CLI using a2ps or lpr but I can not print
from my user account or get lpstat -t to show the installed printers
that it shows when root runs it, ie:

root@dj:/home/wtopa# lpstat -t
scheduler is running
system default destination: HP6P
device for 6P: usb://HP/LaserJet%206P
device for Cups-Pdf: cups-pdf:/
device for HP6P: usb://HP/LaserJet%206P
6P accepting requests since Wed 03 Jun 2009 12:41:33 PM EDT
Cups-Pdf accepting requests since Sun 17 May 2009 02:20:56 PM EDT
HP6P accepting requests since Sun 31 May 2009 07:31:51 PM EDT
printer 6P is idle.  enabled since Wed 03 Jun 2009 12:41:33 PM EDT
printer Cups-Pdf is idle.  enabled since Sun 17 May 2009 02:20:56 PM EDT
printer HP6P is idle.  enabled since Sun 31 May 2009 07:31:51 PM EDT

The user is in the lp and lpadmin groups.
wtopa@dj:~$ lpstat -t
lpstat: Unable to connect to server

SQUEEZE

   Using the same cupsd.conf and client.conf that SID is using, the X
print problems are the same as on Sid.  On the console lpstat-t does not
work for anyone.

I gave attached the cupsd.conf & client.conf files.

Any pointers would surly be appreciated.

Wayne

ServerName 127.0.0.1

LogLevel warning
SystemGroup lpadmin
# Allow remote access
Port 631

Listen localhost:631
#Listen 192.168.1.11:631
Listen /var/run/cups/cups.sock
# Enable printer sharing and shared printers.
Browsing On
BrowseOrder allow,deny
BrowseAllow @LOCAL
BrowseAddress @LOCAL
DefaultAuthType Basic
#DefaultEncription IfRequested
<Location />
  # Allow shared printing...
  Order allow,deny
  Allow all
  Allow wtopa
</Location>
<Location /admin>
  #Encryption Required
  # Restrict access to the admin pages...
  Order allow,deny
  Allow root
  allow wtopa
  Allow localhost
</Location>
<Location /admin/conf>
  AuthType Default
  Require user @SYSTEM
  # Restrict access to the configuration files...
  AuthType Basic
  Require user @SYSTEM
  Order allow,deny
  Allow root
  Allow wtopa
  Allow localhost
</Location>
<Policy default>
  <Limit Send-Document Send-URI Hold-Job Release-Job Restart-Job Purge-Jobs Set-Job-Attributes Create-Job-Subscription Renew-Subscription Cancel-Subscription Get-Notifications Reprocess-Job Cancel-Current-Job Suspend-Current-Job Resume-Job CUPS-Move-Job>
    Require user @OWNER @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>
  <Limit CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer CUPS-Delete-Printer CUPS-Add-Modify-Class CUPS-Delete-Class CUPS-Set-Default>
    AuthType Default
    Require user @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>
  <Limit Pause-Printer Resume-Printer Enable-Printer Disable-Printer Pause-Printer-After-Current-Job Hold-New-Jobs Release-Held-New-Jobs Deactivate-Printer Activate-Printer Restart-Printer Shutdown-Printer Startup-Printer Promote-Job Schedule-Job-After CUPS-Accept-Jobs CUPS-Reject-Jobs>
    AuthType Default
    Require user @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>
  <Limit Cancel-Job CUPS-Authenticate-Job>
    Require user @OWNER @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>
  <Limit All>