Re: What happened to network devices?

James Youngman wrote:
On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 5:30 PM, lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 06:40:00PM -0500, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
In <20090529225111.GF1901@cat.rubenette.is-a-geek.com>, lee wrote:
Anyway, I'd like to know what happened
to /dev/eth0.
I've never had a Linux box where /dev/eth0 existed.  That said, I'm only been
using it as my main OS since the end of 2004.
for an understanding of how ethernet interfaces work under linux, do a "man interfaces" and nose around in /etc/network

then, just to get more confused, do a "man udev"

/etc/network contains config. files for if-up and if-down - including the rules for things like assigning an IP address to eth0

/etc/udev contains rules for assigning device names to physical devices - udev does things like scans for network devices and assign eth0 to one of them

one of the more confusing things is that, under some circumstances, a machine will come up with eth0 assigned to a different physical interface than you were expecting - the default rules try to keep eth0 (or ethn) attached to the same mac address - so if you replace an ethernet card, or move cards around, you can find that you no longer have a network connection (I discovered this the hard way when recovering from a badly crashed server)