Re: Configuring Tor and Privoxy in Squeeze (Addendum)

Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Mon, Jun 01, 2009 at 19:08:31 +0100, AG wrote:
AG wrote:
Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 11:59:29 +0100, AG wrote:
Hello

I am attempting to get Tor and Privoxy working with Iceweasel, but it keeps throwing up errors.
[...]

Under the preferences option of the Iceweasel Tor Button, running the test, this is the output:

Tor proxy test: Internal error

[...]

The following is my /etc/privoxy/config file (without the commented sections):
[...]

forward-socks5   /               127.0.0.1:9050 .
I have this instead, as per the example given in the comments of the
config file:

forward-socks4a / localhost:9050 .

[...]

I also corrected the forward-socks4a string before running these tests.

Did you restart privoxy after changing the configuration file?

[...]

Florian, hi

Yes, I did.  For good measure, I also restarted the tor daemon.
When trying this again as root (sudo), these are the results:

sudo netstat -plant | grep -E ':(8118|9050)'
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:9050          0.0.0.0:*         LISTEN    19186/tor
tcp6       0      0 ::1:8118                :::*              LISTEN    26738/privoxy

The line for Tor is as expected, but I am surprised that you have
privoxy listening only for tcp6 connections. I do not recall ever seeing
privoxy listed in any way other than this:

tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:8118          0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      7152/privoxy

Have you done any IPv6-related customization on your system?
No, this is a new install as of Sunday and I don't know enough to have made those adjustments deliberately. If these happened in the course of something else, I couldn't say and don't know how to check.

Is this a risk or something?

In any case, if two programs do not work together as they should then it
may help to test each one individually.

To see if privoxy is working without Tor, remove the "forward-socks.."
line from the configuration file and restart privoxy. Then open
iceweasel, make sure that torbutton is NOT active and select "localhost"
port 8118 as the manual proxy configuration for http and https; make
sure that the SOCKS field is empty. Try if you can load any websites in
this configuration and if you can reach the configuration front end at
http://config.privoxy.org.

To test Tor without privoxy, clear all fields in iceweasel's manual
proxy configuration except for the SOCKS one, which should have
"localhost" and port 9050. Then go to a site like http://showip.net and
check if the reported IP address is different from your real one. (If
Tor works then you should see the IP address of the current exit node.)

OK - followed the directions:

Commented out the "forward-socks ..." line and restarted privoxy.
Changed the manual proxy settings in IW as described and reached http://config.privoxy.org which reads "This is Privoxy 3.0.12 on localhost (::1), port 8118, enabled"

Next, cleared all fields in IW settings and entered localhost port 9550 in the socks line. Went to the URL shown, and that server thinks my machine is in Nebraska, not the UK (must be the exit node you mentioned).

So ... what does all this mean then? The individual components appear to work? But not together? It may/ not be anything, but under the IW settings, no matter what I enter in the privoxy/config file, in the settings the Socksv5 radio button is always marked.

The mystery continues ...

AG