Re: KDE is now broken (Fwd: Heads-up: KDE4 hitting testing tonight (UTC) )

lee wrote:
> On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 05:22:32PM -0400, H.S. wrote:
>> I agree with Boyd in his understanding of your post. What is the use of
>> language if you say one thing that a reasonable person would understand
>> but meant something completely different? If a reasonable receiver does
>> not understand the message as intended, the communication was faulty.
>
> Misunderstandings are always possible.

Sure, but you didn't show similar understanding, and were not forgiving,
while replying to Boyd's reasonable explanation how he interpreted your
writing.

> I haven't said that mysql is necessary for a working kde. What I have
> said is that it doesn't work anymore after the last update during
> which I refused to install a mysql server.

See further below.

>> Perhaps you should see what exactly is broken.
>
> I already mentioned about 3 or 4 times in this thread that kdm, when
> it tries to start, says that there is no greeting widget and that I
> should check the configuration. I'm merely expecting it to work
> because no packages are broken, no dependencies are unfulfilled, and I
> didn't mess with kdm in any way. I'm also not very inclined to figure
> out what the error message is supposed to tell me and how to fix it
> because it's not that important that I'd want to spend hours on
> that. Maybe it fixes itself after some updates.

Have you tried reinstalling kdm with aptitude? Or purging it and then
installing it again? Purging might recreate the config files.

>> Try gdm instead, I use it without any problem.
>
> Maybe it's working for you because you're using gdm and not kdm.
>
> For the second time in this thread: Is there another way to start kde
> than using kdm (or gdm)? Though they can be nice to have, I don't want
> to have to use either of them.

Your system is messed up somehow. I do not have mysql installed yet
trying to install kdm goes without a hitch!
$> sudo aptitude install kdm
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Reading task descriptions... Done
  kdm
0 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
Need to get 1710kB of archives. After unpacking 3682kB will be used.

Fact: from the above, it is quite clear that kdm does *not* require
mysql. You have some other problem with kdm, it appears, and mysql is
not the culprit here.

ever having been read.