Re: mass conversion from ogg to mp3

ZephyrQ wrote:
Stefan Monnier wrote:
I have a large number of music files (17 gig worth...yes, for all prying
eyes they are legal...) that I find I need to convert from .ogg to .mp3.

Not that I want to...but between a teenager with an iphone and being saddled
with cell phone that won't play .ogg...well, you get the picture.

What is the best way to do this? I would prefer a CLI option that I can run in the background, but I want to save as much sound quality as I can with
the transfer...

You may want to consider this conversion, not as a way to replace your
Ogg collection with an MP3 collection, but just as a way to get
a specialized version of your collection for some particular devices.

My main collection is in Flac format, but I convert it to Ogg(96kb/s)
before uploading it to my "MP3" player, since Flac would take up too
much space.  The quality is not as high, but given the circumstances in
which I listen to it, I can't really tell the difference.

As for the conversion, I use the script below.

<script cut>

This looks great...just to make sure...I can use it to convert my oggs to mp3 on the fly? Just point it to a directory and pipe it to a destination and I have my mp3s?

Forgive my ignorance concerning scripts, but I haven't written one since DOS 6.2...
I found http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/ a very useful resource for script programming.

Sjoerd