Luks encrypted partition gets identified as ntfs

The title says a lot.

I'm using lenny all of a sudden the partition where I keep my data which has been encrypted with luks gets identified by vol_id and blkid as ntfs rather than luks_cryptofs.
While it was booting the fsck failed gave me a Ctrl+D to continue.

It even mounts automatically as ntfs showing as empty but it's not ntfs and it is not empty.

About 4 years of research I have in there so far got that gut feeling it's going up in smokes.

Done all I could by no luck so looking for help.

This is what happens:
main hd where the partition is
#vol_id /dev/sdc
ID_FS_USAGE=crypto
ID_FS_TYPE=crypto_LUKS
ID_FS_VERSION=2
ID_FS_UUID=6c284b6d-90fc-4810-98a3-e312642abcca
ID_FS_UUID_ENC=6c284b6d-90fc-4810-98a3-e312642abcca
ID_FS_LABEL=
ID_FS_LABEL_ENC=
ID_FS_LABEL_SAFE=

partition giving problems