Re: why must emacs depend on sound packages?

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 12:04:44PM EDT, Barclay, Daniel wrote:
> Chris Jones wrote:

[..]

> > Where the above no longer works for me is when the two action keys
> > do not belong to the same half of the keyboard - such as Ctrl-X
> > Ctrl-P, because I would use my right thumb to action the Control
> > key, the left hand ring finger to hit X, and then would be stuck
> > having to maintain the right Control key depressed and hit the "P"
> > key with my right pinky.

> Ah, that might be your problem right there:  Using "proper" shifting
> technique (as a typing teaching would presumably teach).  Oh,
> wait--you aren't switching from left to right control key there.  But
> you are using a thumb on an improperly positioned control key.  Such
> an abomination! :-)

It certainly is not. I was under the impression that homo sapiens
differed from the apes due to his opposable thumb. With proper typing
position - the wrists unbent, pretty much horizontal, reaching for the
Windows keys remapped to Control is totally effortless. Anyone with a
few hours of piano playing under their belt knows that - yes that's
where I got the idea.

> Try using your left pinky on the (left) control key its rightful
> (original) place, immediately to the left of the A key (assuming
> English/QWERTY layout)).  Then use your left ring finger (instead
> of the "proper" left pinky) on the q, a, and z keys when you
> need to enter C-q, C-a, or C-z, respectively; and shift fingers
> on the next column or two as needed.

Now you are kidding, right?

> The C-x C-p is easy: left pinky left control down, left middle or
> ring finger x down, right pinky or ring finger p down, and then
> all finger up in any order you want (or no order (simultaneous)).

My guess is that you must have a couple of RSI doctors among your close
relatives.

:-)

Not only is this very difficult to get right consistently without
looking at the keys - I find right thumb on Windows/Control + X followed
by left thumb on Windows/Control + P considerably easier - but it
completely leaves out the fact that in my personal case, there is a
wired-in association between a given key and a given finger.

I am reusing the basic associations acquired while typing to which I
only added two+two (Control & Alt keys) synchronized thumb actions. If I
followed your advice, I would have to build into my personal muscle
memory an entire new set of finger actions that are both inconsistent
with my (standard) typing habits _and_ physically stressful.

Seriously, left pinky on the key to the right of the "A" key and left
ring finger on the "Z" key at the same time...?

Tried it a couple of times and had to stop because I was cramping.

:-)

CJ