Re: KDE is now broken (Fwd: Heads-up: KDE4 hitting testing tonight (UTC) )

In <[🔎] 20090526142918.GC5158@cat.rubenette.is-a-geek.com>, lee wrote:
>On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 01:17:16PM -0500, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
>> Use the old software.  It might not run on the latest release of Debian,
>> but it should run on whatever version you had before.  Older releases
>> are maintained in the archive, and you can archive whatever you need
>> yourself if you don't want to depend on the Debian infrastructure.
>>
>> No one is forced to upgrade, but support does dwindle for a product over
>> time.
>
>Where do you find the old software?

"Older releases are maintained in the archive"

>How do you get it to run on
>contemporary hardware?

Run it on the hardware you were running it on before.  We are talking about
accessing the data for the purpose of migration; you should still have the
hardware (and software) you are migrating from.

>Or do you suggest to rent old hardware from a
>museum to install 15 or 20 year old software on it to make your data
>accessible?

Find your local LUG and ask around.  I can virtually guarantee that there
someone with a storage unit full of old hardware they are keeping for some
reason.  Even better if you have a local FreeGeek.

>Or are you suggesting to rent storage space to pile up old
>hardware?

If that's what you need to keep your data safe.  I certainly don't suggest
running on hardware platform that you can't maintain (which includes
acquiring replacement parts).

>That would require you to buy everything new, including hard
>disks, for example, when upgrading your hardware, and that's something
>I never did.

That's not true.  It might mean you have to multi-task hardware during the
transition, but I generally don't buy everything new either.  Gradual
upgrades are much preferable.

>And who guarantees that 30 year old hardware you kept in
>storage will still work when you need it?

You do.