Re: KDE is now broken (Fwd: Heads-up: KDE4 hitting testing tonight (UTC) )

In <[🔎] 20090526142918.GC5158@cat.rubenette.is-a-geek.com>, lee wrote:
>On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 01:17:16PM -0500, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
>> In <[🔎] 20090525163904.GB5158@cat.rubenette.is-a-geek.com>, lee wrote:
>> >And BTW, it's not only wasting resources to have a mysql server
>> >installed that you don't need and don't use, it's also about making
>> >things more complicated and time consuming when you have a mysql
>> >server that eventually needs to be adminstered and that you eventually
>> >have to figure out a way to make backups for?
>> IIRC, Akonadi uses the "embeded" MySQL by default.  It stores data and
>> settings in your $HOME so it would be naturally included in any backup.
>> It also is fully administered by the Akonadi server itself.
>Then why do the dependencies require that a mysql server be installed?

As I understand it:
Because the "embedded" MySQL server is very much still a server.  You do
*not* have to start the daemon via the init script, and it doesn't listen on
public ports, but it needs all the server components.

>> >What if you use
>> >stable and from one distribution to another, or the one after the
>> >next, they change something about mysql and you suddenly find yourself
>> >with the problem of having to somehow convert your data to be able to
>> >use it with the new mysql version?
>>
>> Data translation issues can, have, and will happen even if "plain
>> text" files.
>> KDE generally hides this from the user.  For example, the KDE
>> configuration API allows the developer to register a translation that is
>> required (maybe something simple like a configuration key rename) and
>> what translations it depends on.  The configuration file will contain a
>> list of the translations already applied to it and the API will
>> "automatically" apply whatever is needed to update the file.
>>
>> These same issues can be hidden when using RDBMS backed, but the
>> translations are usually much faster.
>
>Both of these won't be human readable, plain text files.

Actually, yes.  KDE Configuration files are human-readable, plain-text
files.  They aren't free-form prose.  For the most part they follow the
".desktop" file specification put together by XDG.

The application writers can abuse them to store binary data, but that's true
of any plain-text format.

>Try to read
>your current kde configuration in 35 years, or try to read your data
>from the the RDBMS you're currently using in 35 years. You'll find
>that it won't be easy.

I hope so.  I plan on using different, hopefully better, software by then.