Re: make image of a hard disk

2009/5/26 Umarzuki Mochlis <umarzuki@gmail.com>:
> 2009/5/26 Owen Townend <owen.townend@gmail.com>
[snip]

>> Not quite, the syntax is:
>> $ dd_rescue [options] infile outfile
>> '-' can be used to mean stdin/out
>>
>> Your command would be:
>> $ dd_rescue -v -l sda.log /dev/sda1 - | gzip > image.gz

[snip]

> I wonder because of the syntax placement made
> $ dd_rescue -v /dev/sda1 -l sda.log - | gzip > image.gz
>
> spits "Invalid argument" on the screen and log but image.gz does seem to
> grow. Any possibility that the command above wouldn't yield a good image?
> since I've already gone to 34 GB of 600+ GB

I am not sure what dd_rescue is likely to do with option arguments out of place.
I would be inclined to start again with a syntactically correct command and
make sure there are no errors...

If you have to leave it as is, you could check that the log file is
also growing.
You could also unzip the start of the image and check that it holds valid
filesystem headers.

cheers,
Owen.