Re: Dual-head on Lenovo T60?

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 2:30 PM, Jesse Sheidlower <jester@panix.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to get a dual-head setup working on my Lenovo T60,
> without any success, despite having looked at number of pieces
> of documentation, in particular the comprehensive-seeming wiki
> entry at http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/HowToRandR12, so
> I'd be grateful if someone could give me a push in the right
> direction.
>
> I'm running Sid, with the 2.6.29-2 kernel, and version 1.6.2
> RC 1 of the xorg server, with Gnome as my WM. My video card is
> the ATI Radeon X1300; my X log shows it as:
>
> (--) PCI:*(0@1:0:0) ATI Technologies Inc M52 [Mobility Radeon X1300] rev 0, Mem
> @ 0xd8000000/134217728, 0xee100000/65536, I/O @ 0x00002000/256, BIOS @ 0x???????
> ?/131072
>
> The built-in display is 1400 x 1050, and the monitor I'd like
> to use is 1280 x 1024. I want this monitor to display a
> separate window.
>
> I would like to take advantage of dynamic configuration using
> grandr, as I want to be able to plug a monitor in without
> restarting X.
>
> I normally don't have an xorg.conf file, since the
> auto-generated one works fine. However, this seems to be
> implies that only the "radeonhd" or "ati" drivers allow for
> dynamic configuration. I tried using "X -configure" to
> generate an xorg.conf, and then specified the ati or radeonhd
> drivers, but both of these caused hard lockups. Also, I note
> that if I boot the machine with a monitor attached, all of the
> output goes to that monitor, not the built-in screen.  I don't
> mind having an actual conf file, but I need the flexibility of
> unplugging the monitor and moving around without compromising
> the built-in display.
>
> When I use the auto-generated xorg.conf and run grandr, I'm
> able to do some things, such as flip the image on the second
> monitor, but in the "Layout" tab, the "Clone" or "Extend"
> options are grayed out, and I can't drag the icons around.
> And when I run xrandr on the commandline, it tells me "Screen
> 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1400 x 1050, maximum 1400 x
> 1400", so if the maximum really is 1400 x 1400, it seems like
> dual-head would never be possible.
>
> I'm at a loss about what to try next, or what details of my
> system would be helpful to provide. Any suggestions?

I have a dual head set up using xrandr on an openbsd machine and it
was rather painless. I will offer more dets if you'd like (eg, my
xorg.conf), but I just googled, and found
http://www.jejik.com/articles/2008/10/setting_up_dual_monitors_system-wide_with_xrandr_on_debian_lenny/
, which looks helpful.

G'luck!

-Neal