Re: install proprietary nvidia driver without xorg.conf?

On Sun, 2009-05-17 at 19:19 -0600, Matthew Moore wrote:
> On Sunday May 17 2009 3:56:23 pm Michael M. Moore wrote:
> > It says for Lenny you have to edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf to load "glx"
> > module and remove "dri" or "GLCore" modules, under the
> "Module" section;
> > and that you need to change the driver (from "nv" to "nvidia")
> under the
> > "Device" section.
>
> With the current xorg, you do not need a xorg.conf file. If you do
> have a xorg.conf file, it takes the settings from there and then does
> whatever else needs to be done by using HAL. For example, to just
> use the proprietary driver and not change anything else that X does
> via HAL, the xorg.conf should _only_ contain
>
> Section "Device"
>     Identifier     "NVIDIA_Device"
>     Driver         "nvidia"
> EndSection
>
> This is the setup that I am running, and everything is working fine.
> Running the nvidia xconfig utility produces a _complete_ xorg.conf
> file, which I wanted to avoid using.

Thanks, Matthew.  It worked.  When I restarted xorg after installing the
nvidia packages, it was still using the 'nv' driver.  So I added the
lines above to my /etc/xorg.conf and restarted x again ... and, viola,
nvidia driver in use.

I didn't want to have to generate a complete xorg.conf either.

--
Michael M.