Re: install proprietary nvidia driver without xorg.conf?

On Sunday May 17 2009 3:56:23 pm Michael M. Moore wrote:
> It says for Lenny you have to edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf to load "glx"
> module and remove "dri" or "GLCore" modules, under the
"Module" section;
> and that you need to change the driver (from "nv" to "nvidia")
under the
> "Device" section.

With the current xorg, you do not need a xorg.conf file. If you do
have a xorg.conf file, it takes the settings from there and then does
whatever else needs to be done by using HAL. For example, to just
use the proprietary driver and not change anything else that X does
via HAL, the xorg.conf should _only_ contain

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "NVIDIA_Device"
    Driver         "nvidia"
EndSection

This is the setup that I am running, and everything is working fine.
Running the nvidia xconfig utility produces a _complete_ xorg.conf
file, which I wanted to avoid using.

MM