Which 64-bit version to use

On a laptop that has 4GB of RAM, and an Intel Core 2 Duo processor(which I assume to be a 64 bit CPU), I understand that a 64-bit OS is best for accessing the full GB of RAM.

For 64-bit version, Ubuntu has only the AMD64 version.

On the Debian web page at http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/ , the architectures supported, include AMD64 and Intel IA-64.

On the Debian web page for AMD64, at http://www.debian.org/ports/amd64/ , is stated "The port consists of a kernel for all AMD 64bit CPUs with AMD64 extension and all Intel CPUs with EM64T extension, and a common 64bit userspace."

What exactly the "EM64T extension" is, or whether it is applicable to the CPU, I do not know.

On the Debian web page for Intel IA-64, at http://www.debian.org/ports/ia64/ , is stated "IA-64 has been a supported Debian architecture since Debian 3.0 (woody) If you would like to help, start by subscribing to the debian-ia64 mailing list. The normal Debian channels for acquiring installation media now include ia64 CD images. "

On the Debian FAQ web page (to try to find which is the appropriate ISO image to download), the question with the label "Which of the numerous images should I download? Do I need all of them?" at http://www.debian.org/CD/faq/#which-cd , is stated "If your PC has a 64-bit AMD or Intel processor, you will most likely need the "amd64" images (though "i386" is also fine), the "ia64" images will not work."

So, is the AMD64 ISO image, the appropriate one for a laptop with an Intel Core 2 Duo processor, or is the Intel IA-64 the appropriate image (and, if so, does it work?) ?

Also, on one mirror at which I looked, is (directory listing)

"Files

Index of /debian/debian-cd/5.0.1/

  	Name 	Last modified 	Size 	File Description
	Parent Directory 	  	-
	amd64 	Tue Apr 14 18:32:36 2009 	-
	i386 	Tue Apr 14 18:32:37 2009 	-
	ia64 	Tue Apr 14 18:32:36 2009 	-
	multi-arch 	Tue Apr 14 18:32:37 2009 	-
	trace 	Tue Apr 14 18:32:38 2009 	-"

which makes me wonder whether "multi-arch" means multi-architecture, and therefore, whether a multi-architecture ISO image exists, that automatically detects the architecture and determines the appropriate architecture installation,which it installs.

Could someone please clarify which is the appropriate version to install, given the CPU and the 4GB of RAM?

Thank you in anticipation.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale