Re: bug #350639

Hi,

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 01:32:01PM -0300, Tiago Saboga wrote:
> Freddy Freeloader <fredddy@cableone.net> writes:
> > Thorny wrote:
> >> On Sun, 17 May 2009 12:31:05 -0700, Freddy Freeloader posted:
> >>>

> >> Well, that is the standard flow. I hear you that it isn't convenient for
> >> you but it is standard.
> >>
> > It is also standard flow to fix bugs that are found in testing, not to
> > always wait until a new version comes down from Sid.  That's the
> > purpose for which testing exists.  Those bugs not found while a
> > package is in Sid are fixed in testing when fixing them does not
> > require a new dependency or will break some other package.  So why
> > should this bug be any different?  It exists in testing so it should
> > be fixed in testing too, not allowed to just sit for months when it's
> > a very simple fix.
>
> It seems you do not really understand the workflow in debian. No bug is
> never fixed in testing. No upload is never allowed to testing (ok,
> except in deep freeze, and even then the package is uploaded to
> testing-proposed-updates, not testing). Every single change to a package
> must go through sid first. So, if someone find a serious bug in kde 4.1
> now, there is no way to the maintainers to fix it in testing before kde
> 4.2 hits testing.

This statement is correct for pointing out the basic workflow but there
is a bit too strong word.  Never say "never" :-)

We do fix critical/grave/security bugs for stable.  There are special
testing security bug fix system once we get decently stable sesting, I
expect soonish.

> If you use testing, you should know that it can be at times even more
> broken than sid. It's the way it works. testing is less unstable than
> sid: it means testing changes less than sid, it's all.

Testing was supposed to be somewhat usable once "transition period" ends
just after release.  We are still in this transition period.

 > Hope that helps,

Osamu