bug #350639

I'd like to point this bug out as it has been around now for 3 1/2 months with no official resolution. What's worse is that this bug was caused by the Debian gnome-volume-manager maintainer. Nobody else is responsible for it. He disabled automount when he compiled the gnome-volume-manager package. That's right. This bug was caused by disabling automount in the debian-rules file. It's now 3 1/2 months later and the person, whoever it is, that maintains this package hasn't gotten around to just changing about 10 letters in one line of text and then recompiling and uploading the package again. I have to ask why. Why is this left up every user of testing to fix this problem themselves when the fix is so simple? Why can't this fix be uploaded to the Debian repositories? It's not like auto mounting of cd/dvd's and portable usb devices is something hardly anyone does on a daily basis. This functionality is used almost daily by everyone who has a computer. However, Debian testing users must either fix this themselves or manually mount usb and optical disks as the Debian dev just ignores testing. In my mind there is no good reason for this fix to go into Sid and then sit there until the dependencies are satisfied for that version number. It's just a matter of enabling a flag that was accidentally disabled. It's not like there are any dependency changes.

I've been a Debian user for 5 or 6 years now and very much dislike the idea of using another distro, but I just can't see why Debian is leaving bugs like this unfixed for what is probably a majority of it's desktop users. Testing is what the biggest portion of Debian users have on their desktops. To flat out ignore them seems pretty strange. Is the Debian development process in that much trouble, i.e. short of help, or have such unreasonable versioning rules that something this simple can't be fixed promptly?

I'd gladly volunteer to help, but I'm no developer. I'm willing to learn anything but I've read where Debian devs have no desire to do any teaching to get help so I've never offered. However, if things this simple go unfixed for this long then maybe it's time for some change.