Re: LVM how to

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 07:17:48AM +1000, gianni wrote:
> HI lists
> how can I resize the LVM default partition layout of debian?
> the root is to small around 400mb... I looked around the web but it look
> like I need to do that from a rescue cd, which one should I use?

You don't need a rescue CD, and you can even do it while the filesystem
is mounted!  This following example resizes the "data" LV of the
"ravenclaw" volume group.  The first step is to increase the LV size
by 2 GiB.  Then, we resize the filesystem contained on the LV to fit
into the larger space available to it (if you aren't using ext2/ext3,
you'll need to use the tool for your specific filesystem).

lvresize -L +2G /dev/ravenclaw/data
resize2fs /dev/ravenclaw/data

Obviously shrinking is a little more involved size you might need to
move things in order to shrink it, so unmounting might be necessary.
However, for your case, you don't even need to log out!

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh