Re: Using terminal output as input

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 01:31:30PM +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > I also suggested the copying/pasting approach via gnu/screen's mechanism
> > but that's not really what the OP was asking and maybe there should be a
> > smarter alternative..??
> >

> Actually, it seems that copy-paste is in fact what I am looking for. I
> just figured that this would be common enough to be a part of the
> shell itself, not something that would require workarounds or hacks. I
> intend to learn screen.

If you're looking to take the output from a command, edit it, then pipe it back
into another command, may I suggest your favourite editor?

vim can do it like so (for example):

(in command mode)
!!ls
(edit to your heart's content)
:%!wc

I'm sure emacs can do it too, but I don't know emacs all that well.

Cheers,

--
Eric Gerlach, Network Administrator
Federation of Students