Re: No console from X

On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 11:45:35PM +0200, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 10:26:00 -1000, Joel Roth wrote:

> > > Does the laptop have Fn keys for changing the display brightness and
> > > turning the external output on/off? Do they make any difference for the
> > > blank screen?
> >
> > These keys don't work under my current kernel version/drivers.
>
> This might be another symptom of the same problem.
>
> > I haven't visited this issue lately. It would be great to
> > get them working (along with suspend and the wifi driver
> > installed.)
> >
> > FWIW it's a Toshiba L305D-S5890.
> >
> > I get an external monitor to work by booting with the cable
> > plugged into my RGB connector.
>
> That suggests to me that some problem with recognizing the monitor as
> connected during the VT switch might be responsible for your issue. (I
> have no experience with Radeon HD chipsets, so I am really only guessing
> here.)
>
> > > You could try "modprobe -v radeonfb". (As far as I can tell, this module
> > > does not support your card, so this is a rather long shot.)
> >
> > I do get a result from that.
> >
> > $ sudo modprobe -v radeonfb
> > insmod /lib/modules/2.6.26-1-686/kernel/drivers/i2c/algos/i2c-algo-bit.ko
> > insmod /lib/modules/2.6.26-1-686/kernel/drivers/video/fb_ddc.ko
> > insmod /lib/modules/2.6.26-1-686/kernel/drivers/video/aty/radeonfb.ko
> >
> > lsmod | grep radeon
> >
> > radeonfb               91680  0
> > fb_ddc                  2080  1 radeonfb
> > i2c_algo_bit            5188  1 radeonfb
> > i2c_core               19828  4 radeonfb,fb_ddc,i2c_algo_bit,i2c_piix4
>
> But still no luck with switching to the console, I assume?

I still have to test this with an external monitor.

> > Does this mean I am changing video drivers on the fly?
>
> Not really, you just loaded another module that could provide a driver
> for a framebuffer device. (This is different from the Xorg driver module
> for your card.)
>
> It would be interesting to know if you get a /dev/fb? device once
> radeonfb is loaded. (I am not too optimistic, though.)

Nope.

> > > Did you ever try using the "radeonhd" driver for xorg?
> >
> > No, not yet. Would that be using 'dbkg-reconfigure xserver-org' ??
>
> You can just edit your /etc/X11/xorg.conf, replace "radeon" or "ati"
> with "radeonhd" and restart X. (The package xserver-xorg-video-radeonhd
> has to be installed.)

I just updated many xorg packages to get xserver-xorg-video-radeonhd

Look how simple xorg.conf has become!!

And not obvious where to configure for radeonhd.

# xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
# (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following command:
#   sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"Configured Video Device"
EndSection

> Mind you, I do not know how stable the current version of radeonhd is;
> it is still a relatively new driver.

I'm willing to give it a go, if I can figure out how to tell
X11 that's the driver I want.

Best,

Joel