Re: No console from X

On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 10:26:00 -1000, Joel Roth wrote:
> On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 08:28:42PM +0200, Florian Kulzer wrote:

> > > I'm running a recent Toshiba laptop. The black screen chvt 1
> > > problem hits when I use an external monitor.
> > >
> > > With the built-in monitor the switching occurs just fine.
> >
> > Does the laptop have Fn keys for changing the display brightness and
> > turning the external output on/off? Do they make any difference for the
> > blank screen?
>
> These keys don't work under my current kernel version/drivers.

This might be another symptom of the same problem.

> I haven't visited this issue lately. It would be great to
> get them working (along with suspend and the wifi driver
> installed.)
>
> FWIW it's a Toshiba L305D-S5890.
>
> I get an external monitor to work by booting with the cable
> plugged into my RGB connector.

That suggests to me that some problem with recognizing the monitor as
connected during the VT switch might be responsible for your issue. (I
have no experience with Radeon HD chipsets, so I am really only guessing
here.)

> > You could try "modprobe -v radeonfb". (As far as I can tell, this module
> > does not support your card, so this is a rather long shot.)
>
> I do get a result from that.
>
> $ sudo modprobe -v radeonfb
> insmod /lib/modules/2.6.26-1-686/kernel/drivers/i2c/algos/i2c-algo-bit.ko
> insmod /lib/modules/2.6.26-1-686/kernel/drivers/video/fb_ddc.ko
> insmod /lib/modules/2.6.26-1-686/kernel/drivers/video/aty/radeonfb.ko
>
> lsmod | grep radeon
>
> radeonfb               91680  0
> fb_ddc                  2080  1 radeonfb
> i2c_algo_bit            5188  1 radeonfb
> i2c_core               19828  4 radeonfb,fb_ddc,i2c_algo_bit,i2c_piix4

But still no luck with switching to the console, I assume?

> Does this mean I am changing video drivers on the fly?

Not really, you just loaded another module that could provide a driver
for a framebuffer device. (This is different from the Xorg driver module
for your card.)

It would be interesting to know if you get a /dev/fb? device once
radeonfb is loaded. (I am not too optimistic, though.)

> > Did you ever try using the "radeonhd" driver for xorg?
>
> No, not yet. Would that be using 'dbkg-reconfigure xserver-org' ??

You can just edit your /etc/X11/xorg.conf, replace "radeon" or "ati"
with "radeonhd" and restart X. (The package xserver-xorg-video-radeonhd
has to be installed.)

Mind you, I do not know how stable the current version of radeonhd is;
it is still a relatively new driver.

          Florian   |