Re: No console from X

On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 20:26:50 -1000, Joel Roth wrote:
> On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 07:19:49PM -1000, Joel Roth wrote:
> >
> > Hey, neither can I. I've got pretty much the same symptoms.
> > I'll be grateful for any eyeballs/suggestions.
>
> I'm running a recent Toshiba laptop. The black screen chvt 1
> problem hits when I use an external monitor.
>
> With the built-in monitor the switching occurs just fine.

Does the laptop have Fn keys for changing the display brightness and
turning the external output on/off? Do they make any difference for the
blank screen?

You could try "modprobe -v radeonfb". (As far as I can tell, this module
does not support your card, so this is a rather long shot.)

Did you ever try using the "radeonhd" driver for xorg?

Other than that, some of the more general suggestions that I just posted
newer kernel from backports).

          Florian   |