Re: Unexplained changes in Gnome functionality

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 01:02:40PM -0400, JoeHill wrote:

> I know what you mean, but in the end this is absolutlely free support from
> people who do have other lives. I have learned that the quality and accuracy of
> the question I ask is incredibly important.

Exact error messages are very important. Also if you are running Squeeze
or Sid then you need to be careful when upgrading to newer versions of
software.

I don't know if aptitude uses apt-listbugs or its own method, but you
should set it up to list open bugs before installing the package and
investigate any bugs¹ *before* installing the package. Quite often the
bug report will have the information needed to "work around" the
problem.

¹ At least with apt-listbugs you can investigate the bugs interactively
just by typing in the bug number, I don't know how aptitude does it.

--
Chris.
======