Gnome not reconizing Keyboard

Hi
I started playing with sysvconfig and then rebooted and gnome stopped my keyboard from working was it that i disabled a service or was it an upgrade that has affected the keyboard. I have not changed my xorg.conf file. I can boot in to single user mode and older kernels yet they don't support the graphics card so can't check to see if it works with gnome. I can use it in another tty yet can't switch to another one from the gnome login window. Any suggestions welcome
Dean