Re: Help with Flash

Marc Shapiro wrote:
Up until today, flash was mostly working. Any sites that I go to that needed flash were happy. My 8 year old daughter goes to a number of sites that use flash heavily and some of them wanted a more current version than was on my system (flashplugin-nonfree 9.0.xx.xx, left over from Etch, I now run Lenny).

I had my daughter try one of the sites from my login to make sure that it was not a configuration problem with her login. The same error message came up saying that we needed a more recent version of Flash. I noted that there was a flashplayer-mozilla (10.0.22.87) in the multi-media repository, so I installed it. Flash stopped working completely.

Now, since I am running Firefox, not Iceweasel, I figured there might be a conflict there. So I uninstalled flashplayer-mozilla and installed Flash from the Adobe site, using the .tar.gz file. Then I had my daughter try her site, again. It seemed to work, allowing her to log in and it said it was loading. That was the last thing that it did. Firefox locked up and X no longer refreshed the screen properly. So I tried YouTube, on my login. The videos load, but do not run. And Firefox locks up.

Alright, I say, I am running Firefox 3.0.5 and the current is 3.0.10, so I download the current file from the Mozilla site, exit all instances of Firefox and X, install the new version of Firefox, install Flash to the new Firefox, and try again. Same results.

Can anyone help me get Flash working. Virtually every site that my daughter uses requires Flash. My wife and I also use it, so we really need to get this working again.

All help will be appreciated.

Thank you.

flashplugin-nonfree in Sid is working again. I don't think it has any other Sid dependencies. Remember, if your internet connection is not always-on, that it is just an installer, and it still needs to download the player from Adobe.

Mark Allums