Re: No console from X

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 14:33:32 -0400, Ed Jabbour wrote:
> [...]

[...]

> > Can you switch back to X with ALT-F7 or CTRL-ALT-F7 after this happens?
>
> Yes, with either.

OK, so we know that the driver somehow screws up switching to VGA mode,
but at least it has no problem switching back to X and it does not
crash your system.

[...]

> > If all the above fails, does ALT-SysRq still work?

[...]

> I don't know what ALT-SysRq is for, but nothing happened.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key

(This is not relevant for tracking down your present problem, but it is
 handy to know in case of "hard" lock-ups.)

> > Also, after an attempt to go to console, what is the output of:
> >
> > grep -E '^\((EE|WW)\)' /var/log/Xorg.0.log
>
> WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic" does not exist.

This is harmless.

> (WW) Warning, couldn't open module type1
> (EE) Failed to load module "type1" (module does not exist, 0)

This is harmless; you can remove the "type1" line from your
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.

> (WW) NVIDIA: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0:1:3) found

This should be harmless as well. Many graphics cards have two PCI-IDs,
e.g. "VGA compatible controller" and "Display controller", and normally
it does not matter if there this kind of warning about the second one.

> (EE) Error compiling keymap (server-0)
> (EE) XKB: Couldn't compile keymap

AFAIK, this is an unrelated minor bug.

No real clues so far; what do you get from the following three commands?

lspci -nn | grep -Ei 'vga|video|display|graphic'

lsmod | grep -E 'agp|fb|nvidia'

grep -Ei 'vesa|nvidia|frame|buffer' /var/log/syslog

          Florian   |