Re: Lenny. Wrong displaying of symbols.

On Wed, 2009-05-13 at 11:45 +0400, Mark Goldshtein wrote:
> On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 10:51 PM, Kelly Clowers <kelly.clowers@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Open up synaptic or  aptitude or whatever interactive package manager you
> > prefer and look for fonts for whatever language(s) you need. Most fonts start
> > with xfonts- or ttf- (ttf is probably what you need most).
>
> I thought we live in Unicode world. In mswin environment same videos
> or same web pages with these characters look right.
> Maybe something wrong with default fonts in Debian Lenny?

Windows, OS X, and some Linux distros (Ubuntu, for example) install a
whole mess of fonts by default.  The advantage:  you will probably have
every font you will need for displaying text in most languages.  The
disadvantage:  you will probably have a lot of fonts sitting around on
your system that you don't need, don't want, and/or don't care about, to
display text you can't understand.

Debian, depending on how you install it, doesn't auto-install fonts for
a slew of different languages.  The advantage:  you have less cruft on
your system.  The disadvantage:  you will be missing glyphs you need to
properly display some languages.  The solution:  install the fonts you
need to properly display the languages you care about.

The particular issue you're talking about isn't an Unicode issue.

--
Michael M.