Safe change of uid

Just finished a fresh Lenny install and added an account for my daughter -- and kuser assigned it uid 500 instead of 1001, which I must correct. After looking at man pages and archives, I see that kuser in the past has done well creating accounts but not modifying them. Is that still true with the version used in Lenny? Is usermod a better option for dealing with this situation or would deleting and recreating the account -- either using kuser or userdel -- be the simplest and best method?

Please cc me as I am not currently subscribing to the list.

Elmer E. Dow