Re: Why does iconv choose Private Use Area? (big5->katakana)

In article <[🔎] 87y6t7axqg.fsf@jidanni.org>, jidanni@jidanni.org writes:

> OK. Should I report a bug against iconv, that -f big5 should be at least
> mapping to the same place as -f big5-hkscs or instead it should raise an
> error about invalid input?

> I don't know why that second katakana area in needed in Unicode Private
> Use Area.

I'm not sure.  /etc/usr/share/i18n/charmaps/BIG5.gz has this
part.

% Begin of Eten extended charset. Mapping to "Private Use" segment.
% (Thanks to Aprhic Tech. CO., LTD.)
%
<UF6B1>		/xc6/xa1	<Private Use>
[...]

So, it seems that the mapping to PUA is intentional.

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@m17n.org