Re: Unexplained changes in Gnome functionality

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 10:04:47 +0100, Andrew G (computing.account@googlemail.com) wrote:

> Hi list

[Snip tale of woe]

> I've asked this list for help before on a couple of these issues and the
> response has been - with the exception of one kind soul who did respond -
> crap.  I don't know if there is a secret code or something that I am
> supposed to be using to get some response?  I am using a Debian system, the
> Debian community is supposed to be helpful, I am asking questions politely
> and giving as much info as possible.  I have tried to help myself through
> using Google, but in many instances if one doesn't know what one is looking
> for, it becomes very hard to find an answer.

The "crap" response is possibly because no one else on this list has
experience of your problem or fully understands what you are getting at.
Maybe those who do are too busy.  Who knows?

Personally, despite using Debian for several years, I had never even
heard of Conky until I saw your original posting.  Also, as I do not use
Gnome, I cannot help you at all, but also hope someone else can.

Just thinking aloud really, have you tried googling:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=gnome+conky+problem
 or
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=gnome+conky+startup

Also, perhaps http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=513440 is
relevant.

--
Bob Cox.  Stoke Gifford, near Bristol, UK.
Please reply to the list only.  Do NOT send copies directly to me.