Re: Debian squeeze (testing) dns problems

On 2009-05-08 14:28 +0200, Hugh Lawson wrote:

> I hope there will be some suggestions for this. This is a single-user
> box, managed by an amateur (me).  This is surprising and baffling; it
> makes me suspect I've made some basic error in configuration, but I
> can't find it.
>
> My newly installed squeeze has problems with DNS.  Specificially, Emacs
> gnus and evolution cannot reliably find their respective servers.

This seems to be a libc6 problem, see bugs #516218¹ and #517360².  You
may want to upgrade the libc6 package to the version in sid -- but avoid
version 2.9-11, it is broken as well³.  Either install 2.9-10 or wait
for 2.9-12.

Sven

¹ http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=516218
² http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=517360