Re: testing update today hosed aptitude!

On Wed, May 06, 2009 at 10:02:57AM -0400, Patrick Wiseman <pwiseman@gmail.com> was heard to say:
> I did my daily testing update this morning, and aptitude has
> disappeared.  Attempts to apt-get install aptitude are so far
> unsuccessful, because of unmet dependencies.  Attempts to install
> those missing dependencies also fail, in particular the following:
>
> # apt-get install libapt-pkg-libc6.7-6-4.6

  Which testing mirror are you using?  That version of apt should be in
testing.

> Note, selecting apt instead of libapt-pkg-libc6.7-6-4.6
> apt is already the newest version.

  And it looks like it is.  What happens if you try to install aptitude?

> The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:

  This is not a failure.

>   texlive-common update-notifier-common preview-latex-style texlive lmodern
>   texpower-manual texlive-pstricks texlive-base-bin texpower
>   texlive-extra-utils texlive-latex-base texlive-fonts-recommended
>   texlive-humanities-doc texlive-generic-recommended texlive-latex-recommended
>   texlive-latex-recommended-doc dvipdfmx latex-beamer prosper tipa
>   texlive-latex-base-doc latex-xcolor python-vte texlive-fonts-recommended-doc
>   pgf texlive-humanities texlive-base ps2eps texlive-doc-base
>   texlive-latex-extra texlive-latex-extra-doc texlive-pictures
>   texlive-base-bin-doc texlive-math-extra texlive-pictures-doc
>   texlive-pstricks-doc texlive-generic-extra tex-common lacheck

  It looks like something used to require texlive and now it doesn't,
or it got removed.  update-notifier-common is only used by
update-notifier, and I'd assume that if it's unused, you probably don't
have update-notifier installed, so you don't need it.

  Daniel