Re: why must emacs depend on sound packages?

Barclay, Daniel wrote:
> On Sat, May 02, 2009 at 07:30:25AM EDT, Harry Rickards wrote:
>
>> Plus, even though emacs does other stuff apart from editing, what can
>> emacs do that a separate tool can't do?
>
> It can integrate those separate tools.
>
> The biggest non-editing things for which I use Emacs are its shell mode
> (CLI command entry and output) and dired mode (file-browser functions).
>
> For that usage, Emacs integrates, say, working out a commands on the command
> line and then putting them in a script file.  It also integrate navigating
> around the file system, grabbing a file/directory name, and executing a
> command or putting the name in a script (all without moving ones hands from
> the keyboard).
>

>  > Surely if emacs is more than
>> an editor, it doesn't follow Doug McIlroy's UNIX philosophy:
>>
>> Write programs that *do one thing and do it well*. Write programs to
>> work together. Write programs to handle text streams, because that is
>> a universal interface
>
> a.  Why exactly would it need to?  (Probably, not everything can be written
> to be integrated, and the most likely candidates are the things that
> integrate
> other things.)
>
> b.  Actually, Emacs does (do one thing well):
>
> It handles editing-style text manipulation, regardless of, say, whether
> the text is the contents of a file or the output of commands.
>
> For example, I can apply a regular-expression replacement to lines of text
> whether I'm editing a file or editing command output in shell mode or
> compilation mode (e.g., to filter out output lines I no longer want to
> see, or
> to edit them into data or a command).
>

> Daniel

Fair points, I can't argue with any of them. I think it's really just a
matter of opinion as to what text editor you use, just like which distro
you use (although I assume everyone reading this uses some form or
another of Debian).

- --
Many thanks
Harry Rickards (a.k.a l33tmyst)