Re: Acer Aspire One A110 16GB Linux

On Sat, May 02, 2009 at 06:56:18AM +0100, Bob Cox wrote:
> On Sat, May 02, 2009 at 00:29:17 +0200, Sven Hoexter (sven@timegate.de) wrote:
>
> > On Fri, May 01, 2009 at 08:56:58PM +0100, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> >
> > > Or I can install Debian - I know there's a Wiki page but can anybody
> > > give me clear advice on support for the Wifi / any other devices under
> > > Lenny.
> >

> I think this Acer uses the same Atheron wireless chipset as my Samsung
> NC10.  By using the 2.6.29 kernel from sid, this chipset is natively
> supported and should "just work" without any fiddling.

Thanks to all who replied. This was an ex-display model. I ended up
doing a complete re-install from the recovery media which was just as
well.

[As much for the sake of Google archives as anything else :) ]

For anybody else in this situation: the Acer re-install appears tailored
to booting via an external CD drive from the CD supplied. If you don't
have one, there's the option to write to a >2GB USB stick.

The media appears incredibly sensitive to CD drives - it locked two
machines before working on a third. The CD actually boots a mini Linux
to do the copy (and display videos, progress bar and so on) and takes
about 20 minutes to write the USB stick. Moving the USB stick across to
the Acer and hitting F12, it prompts to restore to the 16GB flash.

Restoration takes about 40 minutes - again with videos. Annoyingly, on
both write and restore there's a stage where the progress bar is at 100%
complete but its still working and hanging.

Once rebooted, using the Live Update tool provided under Settings, the
machine updated 12 packages or so. Linpus Lite is based on Fedora 8 and the yum
repositories listed include the Fedora repository as well as Asus' own.
Fedora 8 is just out of support from the Fedora end.

Opening a terminal (Alt-F2, xterm) and running yum update showed a large
number of updates. This is where I fell foul of yum: the Acer packages
for scim conflict with the upgrades, but most importantly, notify-daemon
conflicts with notification-daemon-xfce.

Attempting to resolve this by removing one or the other hoses your
desktop completely, removing wireless [Network Manager and underlying
Gnome libraries.] hence the re-install.

There is a good little note out there which shows you where to change
xfdesktop2 (Asus' simplified desktop) to xfdesktop (original xfce) and
that's worth doing.

yum install openssh doesn't work nor does yum install ssh-client - you
have to yum install ssh :)

[/Google]

I'm going to wait till 2.6.29 hits us with lenny and a half and then
re-install  with Lenny. For the meantime, I'm happy for light use and
very happy indeed with the weight and the quality of the display.

AndyC