Re: xen, connecting to a domU

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 12:27:18PM +0200, Javier Barroso wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 6:43 AM,  <gcrimp@vcn.bc.ca> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I finally got enough of  a grasp on xen to create a guest
> > system.  But I think it didn't get created properly because
> > I can't log in to it.
> >
> > I tried xen-shell expecting a prompt but only got what looks
> > like an unfinished sequence of boot args:
> >
> > -------- begin excerpt ------------
> > Activating swapfile swap...done.
> > Setting up networking....
> > Configuring network interfaces...done.
> > INIT: Entering runlevel: 2
> > Starting enhanced syslogd: rsyslogd.
> > Starting periodic command scheduler: crond.
> > ----------- end excerpt ------------
> I think this is a serial_device issue [1]. There is a bug with the
> same sympthoms [2]
>
> Does this link helps ?
>
> [1] http://wiki.debian.org/Xen#AdditionalnotefordomUonlennyusingxen-tools
> [2] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=502798

Yes, thanks.  Uncommenting "serial_device = hvc0" in
/etc/xen-tools/xen-tools.conf was enough to get me to a login prompt with
"xm console <dom-id>.  But it still didn't allow an ssh login:

----------- begin transcript -------------
~# ssh 192.168.153.110
ssh: connect to host 192.168.153.110 port 22: Connection refused
------------ end transcript --------------

I tried another run of xen-create-image with the udev role appended.  That
didn't fix the ssh problem.  It appears that ssh is not installed:

----------- begin transcript -------------
~# xm console 1
.
.
.
Starting periodic command scheduler: crond.

Debian GNU/Linux 5.0 mabelle hvc0

mabelle login: root
Linux mabelle 2.6.26-2-xen-686 #1 SMP Thu Mar 26 06:51:04 UTC 2009 i686

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
mabelle:~# dpkg -l | grep ssh
mabelle:~#

Maybe I should file a bug against xen-tools given that man xen-create-image
states that the new domU will be created with a working Openssh setup ?

Thanks for helping,

gc