etch make of 2.6.29 kernel is Broken.

If I start to build a custom kernel, the process runs for about
a minute and blows up as follows:

  HOSTCC  scripts/mod/file2alias.o
  HOSTCC  scripts/mod/modpost.o
  HOSTCC  scripts/mod/sumversion.o
  HOSTLD  scripts/mod/modpost
  HOSTCC  scripts/ihex2fw
  HOSTCC  scripts/kallsyms
  HOSTCC  scripts/conmakehash
  HOSTCC  scripts/bin2c
  CC      init/main.o
  CHK     include/linux/compile.h
  UPD     include/linux/compile.h
  CC      init/version.o
  CC      init/do_mounts.o
  CC      init/do_mounts_rd.o
  CC      init/do_mounts_initrd.o
  LD      init/mounts.o
  CC      init/initramfs.o
  CC      init/calibrate.o
  LD      init/built-in.o
  HOSTCC  usr/gen_init_cpio
  /home/martin/linux-2.6.29/scripts/gen_initramfs_list.sh: Cannot open 'y'
make[1]: *** [usr/initramfs_data.cpio.gz] Error 1
make: *** [usr] Error 2

	This is the first time I tried to build a kernel after
upgrading to etch several months ago. I used to be able to build
kernels all the time so I did something during the upgrade but
am not sure what.

	To try to fix things, I installed kernel-package via
dselect and dselect pulled in about 32 megs of libraries during
the install. I was sure this would correct the problem and it
may have moved the brick wall a few feet, but I still crash
before things really get started.

	Any suggestion as to what to try next?

	Many thanks.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK