Re: Anyone using the CAD packages?

Paul Johnson wrote:
> Preston Boyington wrote:
>
>> IF there were more of a push for Linux at the workplace (desktops not
>> just server room) then the "money factor" would help bring the
>> businesses around.  As it is, there's no real incentive to produce a
>> product that is cross platform when most of the users/businesses will
>> have a Microsoft OS on the machine anyway.
>
> Anybody who wants to hire me better get used to the "money factor" being
> an issue:  I charge employers an Asshole Tax if they honestly expect me
> to use Windows on the job ("Yah, what you're paying me now is about half
> what I'll do the job on Windows for.")

LOL!  I wish I could do that.  Have a good employer though so...

That said, I meant "Industry as a whole" petitioning the software
companies.  Not individual employers.

>> The last I saw was someone getting an old (ACAD 2000?) working on Linux
>> through WINE.  The other option is running it in a Virtual Machine, but
>> then you have a performance hit on top of running a Microsoft OS since
>> the software is not native.
>
> Especially when you need 2009 or 2010 to get the job done.

Another downside (for me and my field) is that even if I were to get a
new version of AutoCAD (or Microstation) installed, it's doubtful that
any of the Civil Software that I use would smoothly run on Linux.  If at
all.

Preston

http://www.arrantdrivel.com/

Where the road takes me - a highwayman's perspective
http://www.prestonboyington.com/