Re: Anyone using the CAD packages?

Paul Johnson wrote:
> Alan Shutko wrote:
>> Aryan Ameri <a.ameri@linuxiran.org> writes:
>>
>>> Well, I always thought that AutoCAD was the equivalent of Windows in the
>>> CAD world. And I thought that for more professinal stuff ( i.e
>>> designing BMW cars) businesses use more sophisticated products (which
>>> again I always thought) run on Unix workstations.
>> Yes, basically.  Although the big packages also run on NT.  (I used
>> to work for Unigraphics, which is one of the high-end packages.)
>>
>>> It seems I was wrong though. AutoCAD is the only CAD product which I
>>> have ever heard it's name (OK, aside from QCAD).
>> High-end CAD is not a very common occupation.  Many more people use
>> AutoCAD than have ever used UG, CATIA or Pro/E.  The high-end licenses
>> cost about the same as a small car per seat, so it's natural many,
>> many more people talk about AutoCAD.
>
> I know this is digging up old news, but I have to wonder if the
> situation has changed in the years that this was originally posted, now
> that AutoCAD costs more than I have ever paid for a car, and still
> doesn't work in Wine.

The short answer (AFAIK) is "no".  I would dearly _love_ to be able to
run Solidworks, AutoCAD, MicroStation, plus their related
Civil/Mechanical softwares on a Linux machine, but that is just not
happening.

IF there were more of a push for Linux at the workplace (desktops not
just server room) then the "money factor" would help bring the
businesses around.  As it is, there's no real incentive to produce a
product that is cross platform when most of the users/businesses will
have a Microsoft OS on the machine anyway.

The last I saw was someone getting an old (ACAD 2000?) working on Linux
through WINE.  The other option is running it in a Virtual Machine, but
then you have a performance hit on top of running a Microsoft OS since
the software is not native.

That just is not good enough.

Preston

http://www.arrantdrivel.com/

Where the road takes me - a highwayman's perspective
http://www.prestonboyington.com/