Re: Debian's glacial movement--a rant

Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
On Mon, Apr 06, 2009 at 01:06:00PM -0700, Freddy Freeloader wrote:
Michael Biebl wrote:
Freddy Freeloader wrote:
I'm experiencing a bug in Gnucash that appeared a couple of days ago on my system that makes Gnucash completely unusable for me. I turned in a bug report on Friday, checked on it yesterday, and by today the bug had been blocked from being displayed. It could be found by searching Debian's bug tracker, but only if you know the bug id number. If you just search for bugs in Gnucash the bug does not appear to exist.

The bug was closed, and blocked, because it's been fixed upstream in version 2.2.9 which was released by Gnucash in February of this year.

Could you discuss how you're experiencing a new bug ("appeared a couple
of days ago") if you're not using gnucach in a new way?  I'm sure there
are bugs in every piece of software I use.  There are a couple of which
I am aware (if I care to think on it) but I have work-arounds or I
wouldn't have accepted the software for use and would have chosen a
different solution.  I've never run into the "appeared a couple of days
ago" situation where the problem was a new bug; the problem has always
been in a different system (or is upstream of the keyboard :))

Doug.
Sorry I didn't answer this sooner, but I just now saw your message.

I didn't change anything other than running an apt-get update && apt-get upgrade. I was using Gnucash in exactly the same way I had for last the year. It just started crashing after that when I would close a tab that was created automatically during creating and posting vendor invoices or customer bills.

New bug or old bug I don't know. All I know was it was new to me as I'd been using Gnucash for more than a year to keep track of my business and suddenly it just didn't work correctly any more.

But, that's all right. Just keep on blaming me. I'm surely at fault. Hell, I had only been using Gnucash for a year. An imbecile like me couldn't possibly have developed a stable work flow in that amount of time. I probably did things differently inside of Gnucash every day for that entire year....

Starting Gnucash and closing tabs inside it are such technically challenging tasks that users have a very difficult time doing them correctly and that most likely explains why Gnucash suddenly began to fail to open account files at startup too. It's gotta be the stupid user's fault.

Funny ain't it though how the upstream version, 2.2.9, has a bug fix for this. I guess they call it the "stupid-user patch", and that's why they won't backport the patch to 2.2.6.