Re: kernel-package??

* Randy Patterson <tech@patterson-pcc.com> [2009-04-30 10:28:00 -0500]:

> I guess I assumed that kernel-package was to build the kernel from the source
> used by the current Debian distro installed. So if that's not the case and I
> decided to use the latest stable from kernel.org, is it advantageous to use
> kernel-package or find a good howto and learn to build and install using a more
> low level approach. I'm mainly looking at just optimizing the config file for a
> particular systems to building a leaner meaner kernel. I have some older
> systems that don't do anything but grid computing. I thought if I removed a
> lot of the stuff that wasn't being used in the kernel I could speed these up a
> little.

Yup, I do that, and I use kernel-package to do it.  It's a very
versatile wrapper script that calls the necessary commands to do the
actual compiling of the kernel and and then builds a debian package
which you can then install with 'dpkg -i'.

the configuration of the kernel you do prior to using kernel-package,
usually thru an ncurseѕ, qt, or gtk interface.

Good tutorial here:

<http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html>

--
Cheers¸